Tuesday, March 24, 2009

i want candy

Sometime last week, I found myself zoning out in front of the TV and working my way through a pile of tootsie rolls like they were the most addictive of drugs. Have you ever eaten tootsie roll midgees? I don't know if it there is a calm released in the repeated untwisting of the wrapper or if the tasty tootsie roll itself holds the power, but give me some midgees and I am a happy camper. However, after my most recent tootsie tea time, I found myself staring at the pile of wrappers wondering what I had just ingested. I decided to find out...
sugar, corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil,condensed milk, cocoa, whey, soy lecithin, orange extract, and artificial and condensed flavors.
The interesting thing that I soon discovered is that tootsie rolls are actually not as bad for you as most candy, which is great and made me feel a little better, but also brought me to my next thought: I like most candy. I don't really care if it is sweet or sour, chocolatey or fruity or containing peanut butter, nuts or caramel...if it is around, I'll probably eat it. In fact, a couple days ago, I opened a package of candy I was planning on sending to a friend because I wanted to eat it. That's pretty sad. Even as I was opening the box, I felt the nudge of discipline yet again. I began to ponder my candy eating habits more seriously, but the candy itself distracted me and my thoughts soon moved on to other things.
That night, I went on Hulu.com and noticed that the film "Super Size Me" had popped up. I pressed play hoping that the documentary would be somewhat interesting and also help me to fall asleep. There is much I could share about this film, but for now let me just say that I was greatly disturbed. When they showed how much sugar had been eaten during the experiment, I actually gasped and am pretty sure my teeth rotted a little bit. I realize that it is not normal to eat McDonalds every meal of every day and that it is a far cry from my normal diet, but it caused me to rethink my eating habits.
I actually think I eat pretty well. I try to get my fruits and veggies every day and like to make food instead of eat out. In fact, I hardly ever eat fast food. Pretty much the only things I drink are water, juice and milk. (well...and the occasional glass of wine or whiskey) I know I dont eat too much salt and I don't even like many condiments. Overall, I feel fairly healthy, but I know that it's the sweets of all sorts that are my downfall.
As a result of all of this, I am going to make some changes because I feel that I can treat my body a little better. I am not going to go as extreme as I have with other things. I am not going to give up dessert or candy, however, I am going to limit myself. I am also going to continue to attempt to redirect my snacky tendencies toward more healthy options. So, the next time I seem to be paying more attention to a candy bowl than a conversation, help me out and wave some bags of sugar in front of my face or something.
But leave me and my midgess alone.

No comments: